Saturday, July 26, 2008

An Overnight Adventure

This lovely image is the motel that Paige & I stayed in last night in Dodge City. Yup. It was a beauty. We had an early morning "appointment," so I decided about three weeks ago that I was going to find a hotel room instead of leaving Leoti before the sun was up. This picture was taken from our balcony view!




Here we have a shot of the lovely "closet" area. The door to the right is the bathroom.

Paige was a little worried at this point. But only a little. I calmly reassured her that all would be "just fine."

Our beds-turned down only after I made Paige help me lift up the mattress & box springs to make sure there were not any "surprises" (like dead bodies) in the box-thingy hotel beds sit on. Haven't you all heard about the decomposing corpse that someone found under their bed in a Las Vegas hotel? You can never be too safe or too cautious, right?

Well, at this point we were both laughing a bit hysterically. Then we took off our shoes. Ummm. There were HOLES in the floor. Yes, there were. You could totally feel them under the carpet. So of course we cracked up all over again!

We did get a decent night's rest, and the room cost a grand total of $68. The reason we ended up at this motel was that when I called around for reservations, the prices were upwards of $169/night. No way was I paying that for a few hours of rest & a shower in Dodge City, Kansas. So I started going through the yellow pages. Lesson learned.

And now, for the reason we were in Dodge City in the first place! Paige & I ran in the Dodge City Days 5K Shootout. I had been wanting to do this for awhile, and I finally found a race that was close to home on a weekend that we had free. Paige agreed to go with me, and my friend Joanne ran, too.

I don't know that I would say I had fun, but I'm glad I got one race under my belt. Now I want to find another one so that I can try to improve my time. I have definitely felt better during runs than I did today!

It was really humid this morning, and let me tell you: Dodge City is not flat. I think the first mile was uphill. That should translate that the last mile was downhill, but it didn't. Miles two and three were up & down. Ugh.

Anyway, Paige did a great job. She won her age division and beat all but one of the high school girls running. There weren't too many runners, but hey, who cares?

Gwen, Paige, & Joanne before the race. Yes, Paige is now taller than me.

4 comments:

Jennifer @ Diving In said...

Way to go! Way to go! Woohoo!

Joann said...

Hey! I think that's the same hotel we stayed in the night before Grandpa's shoulder surgery last August (Actually, I don't think it was the same one, but equally impressive.) :-)

Congratulations on the running, both of you; that's a great accomplishment!

Mike & Dana said...

Congratulations on your run, personally I hate to run, but, if I could get back to swimming like I did in highschool I would in a heartbeat.

I feel for you about the hotel. When we go for the "cheaper" hotels I'm constantly telling the kids to keep their shoes on, put a towel on the shower floor and bring our own pillows and blankets.

sahmqueen said...

First off that Motel looks way better than the High Plains Motel. We always have to stay there because of Jason's animal allergies. There were knife stab cuts in our blanket. No joke!!! There was also blood splattered all over the floor under the refrigerator. Dad said it was probably from the hunters who clean their pheasants in the room. Classy!

Also, you look awesome in your running picture. Who is the daughter, and who is the mom??? Huh? Huh? Move over Wynonna and Naomi Judd. I'm impressed!